Google Workplace for Education Notice to Parents and Guardians
To parents and guardians,
At Liberal R-II School District, we use Google Workspace for Education, and we are seeking your permission to provide and manage a Google Workspace for Education account for your child. Google Workspace for Education is a set of education productivity tools from Google including Gmail, Calendar, Docs, Classroom, and more used by tens of millions of students and teachers around the world. At Liberal R-II School District, students will use their Google accounts to complete assignments, communicate with their teachers, sign into Chromebooks, and learn 21st century digital citizenship skills.
The notice below provides answers to common questions about what Google can and can’t do with your child’s personal information, including:
• What personal information does Google collect?
• How does Google use this information?
• Will Google disclose my child’s personal information?
• Does Google use student personal information for users in K-12 schools to target advertising?
• Can my child share information with others using the Google Workspace for Education account?
Please contact your school administrator if you do not give consent for your child to use Google Workspace for Education managed by Liberal R-II School District. If you don’t provide your consent, we will not create a Google Workspace for Education account for your child. Students who cannot use Google services will not be provided a Chromebook and will have to do all assignments using other methods.
For a full copy of the Google Workspace for Education Notice to Parents and Guardians please visit the following website:
Jay Johnson-Technology Director
Leticia Fry-Elementary Principal
Nicole Ruddick-MS/HS Principal
Rachel Miller-Asst. MS/HS Principal
Google Workspace for Education Notice to Parents and Guardians
This notice describes the personal information we provide to Google for these accounts and how Google collects, uses, and discloses personal information from students in connection with these accounts.
Using their Google Workspace for Education accounts, students may access and use the following “Core Services” offered by Google (described at https://gsuite.google.com/terms/user_features.html):
• Gmail (only 9th-12th grades)
• Chrome Sync
• Contacts (only 9th-12th grades)
• Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms
• Groups (only 9th-12th grades)
• Google Meet (only teacher initiated Meets used for remote learning)
• Sites (only for 9th-12th grades)
Google provides information about the information it collects, as well as how it uses and discloses the information it collects from Google Workspace for Education accounts in its Google Workspace for Education Privacy Notice. You can read that notice online at https://gsuite.google.com/terms/education_privacy.html You should review this information in its entirety, but below are answers to some common questions:
What personal information does Google collect?
When creating a student account, Liberal R-II School District may provide Google with certain personal information about the student, including, for example, a name, email address, and password.
When a student uses Google services, Google also collects information based on the use of those services. This includes:
• device information, such as the hardware model, operating system version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information including phone number;
• log information, including details of how a user used Google services, device event information, and the user's Internet protocol (IP) address;
• location information, as determined by various technologies including IP address, GPS, and other sensors;
• unique application numbers, such as application version number; and
• cookies or similar technologies which are used to collect and store information about a browser or device, such as preferred language and other settings.
How does Google use this information?
In Google Workspace for Education Core Services, Google uses student personal information to provide, maintain, and protect the services. Google does not serve ads in the Core Services or use personal information collected in the Core Services for advertising purposes.
Does Google use student personal information for users in K-12 schools to target advertising?
No. For Google Workspace for Education users in primary and secondary (K-12) schools, Google does not use any user personal information (or any information associated with an Google Workspace for Education Account) to target ads, whether in Core Services or in other Additional Services accessed while using an Google Workspace for Education account.
Can my child share information with others using the Google Workspace for Education account?
We may allow students to access Google services such as Google Docs and Sites, which include features where users can share information with others or publicly. When users share information publicly, it may be indexable by search engines, including Google.
Will Google disclose my child’s personal information?
Google will not share personal information with companies, organizations and individuals outside of Google unless one of the following circumstances applies:
• With parental or guardian consent. Google will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of Google when it has parents’ consent (for users below the age of consent), which may be obtained through Google Workspace for Education schools.
• With Liberal R-II School District. Google Workspace for Education accounts, because they are school-managed accounts, give administrators access to information stored in them.
• For external processing. Google may provide personal information to affiliates or other trusted businesses or persons to process it for Google, based on Google’s instructions and in compliance with the Google Workspace for Education privacy notice and any other appropriate confidentiality and security measures.
• For legal reasons. Google will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of Google if it has a good-faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of the information is reasonably necessary to:
• meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request.
• enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations.
• detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues.
• protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of Google, Google users or the public as required or permitted by law.
Google also shares non-personal information - such as trends about the use of its services -- publicly and with its partners.
What choices do I have as a parent or guardian?
First, you can consent to the collection and use of your child’s information by Google. If you don’t provide your consent, we will not create a Google Workspace for Education account for your child, and Google will not collect or use your child’s information as described in this notice.
If you consent to your child’s use of Google Workspace for Education, you can access or request deletion of your child’s Google Workspace for Education account by contacting Mr. Johnson. If you wish to stop any further collection or use of your child's information, you can request that we use the service controls available to limit your child’s access to features or services, or delete your child’s account entirely. You and your child can also visit https://myaccount.google.com while signed in to the Google Workspace for Education account to view and manage the personal information and settings of the account.
What if I have more questions or would like to read further?
The Core Google Workspace for Education services are provided to us under Google’s Apps for Education agreement (at https://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/terms/education_terms.html)